Monday 17 June 2013

Review: Heaven by Christoph Marzi

Summary from Goodreads:
The night that Heaven lost her heart was cold and moonless. But the blade that sliced it out was warm with her dark blood...

David Pettyfer is taking a shortcut over the dark rooftops of London’s brooding houses, when he literally stumbles across Heaven: a strange, beautiful, distraught girl who says that bad men have stolen her heart. Yet she’s still alive...

And so begins David and Heaven’s wild, exciting and mysterious adventure—to find Heaven’s heart, and to discover the incredible truth about her origins. 


The concept of this book had me interested from the beginning as it was not something that I had heard of before. I was a bit disappointed with it though.

The book is written from the point of view of a boy named David. He has run away from home and he moved to an awesome bookshop. I quite liked him, I thought he was caring and strong. Thankfully this book did not include the two words I have learned to loathe : insta-love or insta-attraction! Heaven and David do not meet under the most usual of circumstances and there was no 'there eyes meet across the room.' I didn't connect with the characters no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't.

There was a few points throughout the book that made me have to read it twice as there was a lot of detail thrown at me and it was difficult to keep with the story. I felt as though the book was dragged out towards the end and it put me off and brought my overall rating of it down.

I was rather surprised to find out the background to Heaven and what she is. It was something that I have never come across before. It made the book rather interesting.

The book had more description and not enough action for my liking and the action that happens was over almost as quickly as it had begun. There was a few times when I found myself forgetting where it was set. 

Overall, this book was okay but I wouldn't read it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment